Best books for educational leaders

  • A brief guide to cloud computing by Barnatt
  • A whole new mind by Pink
  • Dealing with difficult teachers by Whitaker
  • Drive by Pink
  • Education nation by Chen
  • Failure is not an option by Blankstein
  • Focus by Schmoker
  • Getting things done by Allen
  • Leadership & the force of love by Hoyle
  • Leading school change by Whitaker
  • Mastery of management by Kahler
  • Playing for pizza by Grisham (just for fun)
  • Results now by Schmoker
  • School leadership that works by Marzano
  • Teacher evaluation that makes a difference by Marzano & Toth
  • The global achievement gap by Wagner
  • The manufactured crisis by Berliner
  • The wizard and the warrior by Bolman & Deal
  • Visible learning by Hattie
  • Where have all the leaders gone by Iacocca

The School House

The School House

Do you support merit pay for school employees?

This image has been doctored

This image has been doctored
Warning! Educational Leadership may lead to hair loss.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Communication

Communication is a “make or break skill” for school leaders. The article we read from the Principal’s Partnership discussed the importance of communication techniques and identified the principal’s most important (communication) audiences. Please tell me about one or two things that screamed, “This is really important!” when you read the material and why you felt that way. Feel free to share any personal experiences that are related to this topic.

8 comments:

  1. I feel that I need to learn how to listen more and talk less. There are times when I want to share something but need to know when to keep it to myself or if I should share/listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Communications is an effective tool that all Principals should possess. Effective communications promote morale within a school, respect within a school, a positive working and learning environment and most of all a productive and effective learning environment for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Effective communication is a must in these economic times. Administrators have the task of telling staff members what is going on with all the furloughs and layoffs. One thing that stood out to me was that administrators should try to learn every students name. This will make students feel valued, loved, and important. Also, I liked the suggestion for an administrator to teach a class. I had a principal do this for me my 2nd year of teaching and I develop a totally new level of respect for her. She took time out of her day to come to my room and teach. She made me feel so special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly believe listening is KEY to being an effective communicator.

    It's amazing that those who ask questions, refuse to wait for the answer. I ask myself, do they really want an answer or do they just want to hear themselves speak???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that communication is important for people in leadership positions. I feel that transmitting information is very important in leading a school For example, If I lead a faculty meeting and say only one word "to". Then I ask each faculty member to define the word. Some may give the definition of to, too, or the number two. But if you use a projector with the word "to" on it. Then ask for the definition from the faculty. You will get the same outcome. Therefore, its important to use multiple channels, technology, and repition to communicate a message or assignment to a large group. That way you can effectively communicate a message and the receiver gets the message the way you intended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever considered the importance of a name? How important is it to hear your name in a positive way and associated with praise? As with many things, communicating that someone has done well or stands out above the rest may result in that person continuing to do their best but may also be positive in the aspect of someone else stepping up to the plate in order for them to receive some type of recognition.
    The second one that really sticks out to me is recognizing our Substitutes. I substituted for a while before my first teaching assignment. They are worth their weight in gold. It amazes me the abuse that they take in the hands of our children. The substitutes sometimes seem to be the most disrespected people in the building. We may have more people willing to fill in as subs if we as leaders and teachers make them feel like they have a place in our school and are valued.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Shaw said, the single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place...

    ReplyDelete